60-year-old man killed after hoodlums clash with Davido’s security team in Osogbo — Police

The Osun State Police Command has confirmed the death of 60-year-old Tajudeen Yusuf, who was allegedly shot by hoodlums in Osogbo on Wednesday following a confrontation involving suspected thugs and the security team of Nigerian singer David Adeleke, popularly known as Davido.

The incident occurred shortly after Davido accompanied Osun State Governor Ademola Adeleke to the palace of the Ataoja of Osogbo, Oba Jimoh Olanipekun.

The governor had visited the monarch to present his certificate of return after winning the August 15 governorship election.

Earlier on Wednesday, suspected hoodlums reportedly opened fire on the governor’s convoy, resulting in an exchange of gunfire with security personnel. No casualties were initially reported.

The governor reportedly arrived at the palace at about 3:15pm in a convoy of 20 vehicles. The shooting reportedly lasted between 12 and 15 minutes after the monarch had offered prayers for the governor.

In a statement issued on Wednesday evening, Abiodun Ojelabi, the Osun police spokesperson, said the command had commenced a full-scale investigation into the incident at the Itaolokan area of Osogbo.

“On Wednesday, 19th August 2026, at about 1600hrs, the Command received information that one Tajudeen Yusuf, male, aged 60 years, of Oke-Ayepe area, Osogbo, was shot by suspected hoodlums at Itaolokan area of Osogbo,” the statement reads.

“Preliminary investigation revealed that earlier in the day, His Excellency, the Executive Governor of Osun State, Senator Ademola Adeleke, accompanied by his nephew, David Adeleke, popularly known as Davido, paid a courtesy visit to the Ataoja of Osogbo, Oba Jimoh Olanipekun, at the palace.

“Immediately after the visit, one Adebayo Taoreed, popularly known as “Small Rugged”, an ex-convict, a suspected notorious thug and a member of eye confraternity allegedly attempted to gain access to Davido but was resisted by members of his security Team.”

According to the police, the confrontation attracted other suspected gang members in the area, who temporarily blocked the palace entrance and disrupted movement.

The convoy, however, eventually left the area safely, while the suspected gang members reportedly left the vicinity and allegedly shot Yusuf as they departed.

“Upon receiving the information, the police immediately mobilised a patrol team to the scene, where the victim was found lying in a pool of blood,” Ojelabi said.

“He was promptly rushed to the University Teaching Hospital, Osogbo, for medical attention. Unfortunately, he was pronounced dead by the doctors on duty.

“The Command has commenced a full-scale investigation into the incident and intensified efforts to identify, apprehend and bring the fleeing suspects to justice.”

Ojelabi said Samuel Etaifo, commissioner of police (election) for Osun, condemned the “dastardly act” and assured residents that the command would use all available resources to arrest those responsible.

He also urged anyone with information that could assist the investigation to report to the nearest police station or contact the command through its official channels.

DavidoOsogbopolice