Gunmen have reportedly abducted an unspecified number of Muslim worshippers from communities in Borgu Local Government Area of Niger State.
The incident occurred on Friday shortly after the weekly Juma’at prayer at the central mosque in Dekara community, according to Zagazola Makama, a counter-insurgency publication covering the Lake Chad region.
Security sources and eyewitnesses cited by the publication said worshippers were also taken from Gidan Zana, Masaka and Sabon Gida communities.
Among those reportedly abducted was the 90-year-old father of the district head of Dekara.
The Niger State Police Command confirmed the incident, with its spokesperson, Wasiu Abiodun, saying security personnel had been deployed to rescue the victims and apprehend the attackers.
Abiodun said no death had been reported in connection with the attack, while efforts were ongoing to locate the abducted worshippers and arrest those responsible.
However, he noted that difficult terrain and poor road conditions were making it challenging for security personnel to reach the affected communities.
The police spokesperson also disclosed that a collapsed bridge connecting the communities to the Borgu LGA headquarters had further disrupted the movement of security forces involved in the rescue operation.
He said security agencies were working to address the logistical difficulties and intensify efforts to locate the victims and bring the perpetrators to justice.