Alejandro Garnacho has arrived at Chelsea’s training ground ahead of his reported £40 million ($54 million) transfer from Manchester United, Blues manager Enzo Maresca confirmed on Friday.
Reports on Thursday suggested that the two Premier League clubs had reached an agreement, with the 21-year-old deemed surplus to requirements by Old Trafford boss Ruben Amorim.
Garnacho attended Chelsea’s Cobham base in southwest London on Friday to undergo a medical and finalise personal terms.
“I know he is around here,” Maresca told reporters. “I don’t know exactly where.”
Asked how the United academy graduate might fit into his squad, the Italian replied: “He’s a winger. I see him as a winger.”
Maresca did not rule out further transfer activity before Monday’s summer window deadline. “You can expect anything. The transfer window is open; anything can happen, in or out,” he said.
The Chelsea boss also confirmed that Cole Palmer will miss Saturday’s west London derby against Fulham due to a groin problem that forced him out of the clash with West Ham.
Benoît Badiashile and Roméo Lavia remain unavailable with their respective injuries. “Cole we need to see day by day,” Maresca explained. “Romeo and Benoît – I don’t think they will be back after the international break but they will be closer.”
Reflecting on Lavia’s progress, he added: “Two years ago, he didn’t play any games. Last year, he played some. The target is to give him more games this season. I don’t know when he will be back.”
Chelsea head into the weekend sitting fourth in the table, following a goalless draw with Crystal Palace and a 5-1 thrashing of West Ham.