Trump threatens to bomb Oman over Iran tensions

14

US President Donald Trump has issued a strong warning to Oman over its involvement in efforts to resolve the ongoing Iran crisis, saying the Gulf nation could face US military action if it interferes with Washington’s negotiations.

According to Fox News, Trump made the remark during a phone conversation on Monday. He also claimed that his administration maintained a secret communication channel with Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps.

The IRGC has denied having any negotiations with the United States, describing Trump’s claim as false.

The warning comes as Oman continues to mediate between the US and Iran, particularly over the reopening of the Strait of Hormuz, one of the world’s most important routes for oil and gas shipments.

Iranian officials said an agreement had been reached with Oman concerning the movement of ships through the strategic waterway, although the final details were still being worked out.

Trump was quoted by Fox reporter Trey Yingst as saying: “If Oman gets in the way, we’ll bomb the shit out of them.”

Oman has maintained a neutral position in the conflict but has become increasingly involved in diplomatic efforts aimed at restoring shipping through the strait.

The waterway has been largely restricted by Iran since the US and Israel launched attacks against Tehran in February. About one-fifth of global oil and liquefied natural gas shipments normally pass through the route.

Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman Esmaeil Baghaei said discussions with Oman had produced an understanding on a transit route, with both sides expected to agree on the remaining details before releasing a joint statement.

The IRGC spokesman, however, dismissed Trump’s claim of direct talks with the force, saying: “There are no talks taking place between IRGC officials and the Americans, and this lie by Trump is merely fantasies caused by the delusions and nightmares he has suffered as a result of defeat and desperation in the war.”

Trump also indicated that he was in no rush to bring the conflict to an end, describing Iran as being under severe pressure.

“They’re good poker players, but they’re dying,” he was quoted as saying. “I have no time schedule. I’m not in a hurry.”

The US president further maintained that the upcoming November midterm elections were not influencing his decisions on the Iran conflict.

The development comes as the 60-day US-Iran Memorandum of Understanding reaches its deadline. The agreement, signed on June 18, was designed to support further negotiations towards a lasting ceasefire, but the truce later collapsed as hostilities resumed.

Trump declared the ceasefire “over” on July 8.

He has continued to maintain that stopping Iran from obtaining a nuclear weapon remains the primary objective of the United States.