Gunmen who assassinated Oba Olusegun Aremu-Cole, Olukoro of Koro-Ekiti in Kwara State’s Ekiti Local Government Area and kidnapped his wife and another person last Thursday night have reduced the N100 million ransom demanded for the abducted victims.
According to reports, the gunmen approached the monarch’s family over the weekend, demanding a ransom of N100 million, which has since been reduced to N40 million for the release of the two detainees.
On Thursday night, alleged gunmen assassinated Oba Olusegun Aremu-Cole in his palace, abducting his wife and another person.
The Chairman of the Transition Implementation Committee (TIC) in the Ekiti Local Government Council of Kwara State, Kehinde Bayode, told Channels Television on phone, that a suspect was apprehended in Eruku town in the same local government area on Sunday.
The council chairman said “the kidnappers had got in touch with the family demanding for N100m ransom which has now been reduced to N40m”.
However, the spokesperson for the State Police Command, Toun Ejire-Adeyemi, said no arrest had been made in connection with the incident.
“The CP has deployed tactical team to Koro Ekiti to fish out the perpetrators. Policemen are working with other security agencies to free those that were abducted during the kidnapping incident. No arrest has been made yet. We are going to keep you abreast of the development as it unfolds,” said Ejire-Adeyemi.