[VIDEO] Ekiti Govt confirms abduction of six pupils, teachers, vows rescue

80

The Ekiti State Government has confirmed the abduction of kids, teachers, and a driver in the state’s Emure-Ekiti area, but has promised to rescue the victims.

On Monday night, gunmen seized six private school pupils, three teachers, and their bus driver as they returned from Eporo-Ekiti.

However, hours after the event, the Ekiti State Government urged residents not to despair, as security measures had been increased to rescue them.

“The Ekiti State Governor, Mr Biodun Oyebanji has urged the citizens of the state not to despair over Monday’s kidnapping of some school pupils and their teachers in Emure- Ekiti, assuring that efforts are on to get the children and their teachers rescued,” the Tuesday statement from the Ekiti State Government read.

It quoted Governor Biodun Oyebanji as describing the kidnap as callous, and unacceptable, saying nothing would be spared in the efforts to rescue them.

The Ekiti Government said “security agencies in the state are already on the trail of the abductors with a mandate to bring the pupils and their teachers back safely.

“Governor Oyebanji said security is being stepped up across the state with a view to flushing out criminal elements from their hideouts,” it added.

“While calling on the citizens to remain calm and vigilant, he urged them to cooperate with security agencies, by making available relevant information to the authorities.”