Wike orders end to use of FCT green areas as car lots

8

The Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, Nyesom Wike, has ordered the immediate cessation of the use of green areas, parks and gardens in Abuja as car dealership lots.

Wike raised concerns over the conversion of recreational spaces for commercial purposes and instructed relevant agencies to enforce the directive against all unauthorised activities.

A statement issued on Wednesday by his Senior Special Assistant on Public Communications and Social Media, Lere Olayinka, said the minister was particularly concerned about the occupation of parks and recreational areas, including Millennium Park, by car dealers.

“Minister, who decried the use of areas designated for parks and recreation like the Millennium Park and others as car lots, directed that all unauthorised use of such areas will be closely monitored to ensure compliance,” the statement said.

The FCT Administration said the move was also part of measures to tackle flooding in parts of the Federal Capital City.

A task force has consequently been established to enforce the directive, while Wike ordered an investigation into civil servants allegedly involved in granting illegal approvals for the conversion of green areas into car lots.

“This is part of the efforts of the FCT Administration to manage flooding being experienced in some parts of the Federal Capital City.

“Consequently, a Task Force has been set up to enforce this directive.

“Also, the minister has directed the investigation of some civil servants responsible for granting illegal approvals authorising the use green areas as car dealership lots,” the statement said.

Olayinka disclosed that officials from relevant departments had been summoned by the FCT Head of Service, Nancy Nathan. Those affected reportedly include directors in the Departments of Parks and Recreation, Environmental Protection, Traffic Management and Urban Affairs.

The latest directive follows the FCT Administration’s recent crackdown on structures built on waterways and flood channels.

After inspecting flood-hit areas in Maitama District, Wike ordered the immediate demolition of buildings and other structures constructed along natural waterways and designated flood channels across the FCT.

The decision followed heavy rainfall in Abuja that flooded several areas, disrupted traffic, stranded motorists and affected homes and businesses.

Parts of Wuse 2, Durumi, Gaduwa and Gudu were among the areas affected, while flooding was also reported in Maitama.

The FCT Administration has linked some of the flooding problems to construction along waterways and obstructed drainage channels.