Arsenal secure four-point lead with victory over Wolves


Arsenal extended their lead to four points at the summit of the Premier League standings by defeating Wolves at Emirates Stadium.

The Gunners, who secured a 6-0 victory over Lens earlier in the week, took an early lead as Bukayo Saka outplayed Craig Dawson in the penalty area and slotted a low shot into the bottom corner.

Shortly after, the score doubled to 2-0 with Martin Odegaard finishing a brilliant team move involving Oleksandr Zinchenko and Gabriel Jesus.

Gabriel Martinelli’s low shot hit the outside of the post, and despite close attempts from Leandro Trossard and Jesus, Arsenal couldn’t find the third goal to seal the win.

Wolves showed improvement in the second half, with Matheus Cunha testing David Raya’s reflexes and later scoring a superb drive into the top corner, giving the visitors hope with five minutes left.

Despite their efforts, Gary O’Neil’s side couldn’t complete the comeback, and shortly after Cunha’s goal, Eddie Nketiah’s shot for Arsenal struck the frame of the goal.

Gunners get job done

Arsenal currently holds one of the best defensive records in the Premier League, but now they are showcasing more of the free-flowing attacking style that propelled them during last season’s title challenge.

The Gunners’ second goal displayed exquisite teamwork, as Zinchenko executed a clever one-two with Jesus before delivering a precise ball back to Odegaard, who finished with a first-time shot beyond the injured Jose Sa.

Despite their impressive play, Arsenal could have, and perhaps should have, been further ahead at halftime. Trossard’s close-range attempt was thwarted by Sa, and Jesus missed a chance by sending the ball over the bar at the far post.

In another captivating Arsenal counter-attack, Martinelli was also denied by the woodwork at the conclusion of the first half.

“It should have been a much bigger scoreline,” Arteta told BBC Match of the Day. “We made a mistake and they take the chance, and it’s game on in the Premier League.”

“We had chances and we didn’t put them away, but we kept trying. We had some big, big chances to put the game to bed.”

Similar to their midweek match against Lens, the second half was less intense. Rice’s low shot missed the target, and Trossard’s attempt from a favorable position was directly at Wolves’ substitute goalkeeper, Dan Bentley, before Cunha scored to reduce the deficit late in the game.

The conclusion was more tense than Arteta might have preferred, but the 41-year-old manager appeared delighted at full time as his team extended their winning streak to five matches in all competitions.

Too little, too late from Wolves

Wolves experienced another disputed VAR decision in Monday’s loss to Fulham, but O’Neil’s disappointment shifted to his team’s defense at the Emirates Stadium as they allowed two goals within the first 15 minutes.

Dawson was outplayed too easily by Saka for the opening goal, and both Zinchenko and Odegaard were afforded too much space in the lead-up to the Norwegian’s precise low finish.

“The first goal was disappointing,” O’Neil said. “There were so many bodies around Saka. For him to wriggle through and for us to look hesitant in the penalty area is disappointing.

“The second goal was a great goal. We should have prevented it, but it happens.”

Max Kilman came close to inadvertently granting Arsenal a third goal late in the first half, but Bentley made a crucial save by diving to his left to deny Gabriel Jesus.

As the second half unfolded, Cunha and Hwang Hee-chan posed challenges for Raya, signaling an increased attacking threat from Wolves. Cunha’s impressive, curling strike provided a glimmer of hope for an improbable comeback.

However, the visitors’ efforts proved insufficient, arriving too late. Wolves remain without a win in their last 13 Premier League trips to London.