Fenerbahce to vote on league withdrawal after players attacked

49

Fenerbahce members will vote on Tuesday on whether the club should withdraw from the Turkish Super Lig.

In March, the 19-time title winners announced they would contemplate withdrawing from the league following an attack on their players by Trabzonspor fans. Fenerbahce emerged victorious with a 3-2 win, prompting Trabzonspor fans to storm the pitch and assault security personnel and players.

At an extraordinary general assembly meeting scheduled for Tuesday, members will cast their votes on whether the club should withdraw.

The Turkish Football Federation referred three of Fenerbahce’s players and two club officials to the country’s Professional Football Disciplinary Board for their involvement in the altercations.

Tensions escalated when former Chelsea striker Michy Batshuayi netted an 87th-minute winner, triggering objects to be hurled onto the pitch.

Nigerian winger Bright Osayi-Samuel, formerly of Blackpool and Queens Park Rangers, intervened by knocking one pitch invader to the ground, while Batshuayi aimed a kick at another.

FIFA president Gianni Infantino denounced the incidents as “absolutely unacceptable.”

The Turkish Football Federation called the events “unacceptable” and said in a statement that “the necessary criminal sanctions will be imposed on those responsible for these incidents”.

A day later, Turkey’s Interior Minister Ali Yerlikaya said 12 fans had been arrested.

Fenerbahce are second in Super Lig after 30 games – two points behind leaders Galatasaray – and are scheduled to host Adana Demirspor on Wednesday.